Cupid Hunting

by

Patty G. Henderson

 Copyrighted this edition February, 2022


I wait. Patiently. A shadow within the twilight. A dead woman. A victim of suicide, I remain shackled to this world, forever to re-live the mistakes I made while alive.

I shot myself because I loved Marcella. I placed the cold, grey steel of a 9 mm automatic into my mouth and pulled the trigger. I don't remember much after that.

It doesn't matter now that she laughed when I spilled my heart out to her. It doesn't matter that she lied and then flaunted the gifts I gave her while having an affair with my best friend. No, the only thing that matters now is that I find

the reason why I am one of the walking dead and put an end to its unchecked attack on the human race. I have to stop the fiend that creeps into lives with promises of unbridled lust and undying love. Its driven poets insane and countless others like myself to death. Cupid has to be stopped.

And to that end, I crouch here; a part of the darkness you can't see and wait for it. Two lovers sit across from me on the park bench, oblivious to everything except their lustful needs. I expect my prey to arrive soon. I know it's going to come because it's Valentine's day. A day for fools.

I hear the wings first. A light flutter in the night air. A soft, foggy image forms and hovers over the couple on the bench. Ironic that only the dead can see the nasty little beastie. The cherub-faced demon smiles and pulls out an arrow from the tiny quiver on its back. I never understood how those small wings could support that obese little body.

I have to stop it now. If it shoots the arrow and it strikes those poor, unsuspecting fools sucking face, they will be lost to the lethal poison that the little demon peddles as love.

I know I have to make my move now. Grabbing the same gun that took my life, I take careful aim and fire. Parts of Cupid

splatter into the air and the little gargoyle falls with a heavy thud. One more hellish cherub down, how many more to go?

I know that those who are among the living are not gifted with the sight to see into the other worlds around them, but something must have spooked those two on the bench. The woman jumped out of the embrace and looked around like a frightened rabbit. He tightened his grip on her, trying to calm her down. Good thing they couldn't see the bloody little blob lying behind them.

I knew they would be okay now. I have to reload the gun and move on. The night is still young. Valentine's Day isn’t over yet.

 

 

the end

Comments

Popular Posts